February. The second month in the year 2007. It is hard to believe how quickly time goes by. It's been almost a week now that I've returned from South Africa. A week ago today I was in Cape Town walking around the water front. Split from the group, everyone doing their own thing, Aaron, Eric and I set out.
Although it was raining (first time in 90 days...figures since it was our last chance to go swimming) it was a wonderful day. We took some funny pictures by statues of influential South African leaders like Desmondo Tutu and Nelson Mendela. All the while getting funny stares from people walking by. "Why are those crazy Americans standing in the rain?"
We went to the aquarium and actually took the time to closely gawk at the weird sea creatures and read what the plaques had to say about them. And went for lunch at a Scottish Pub eating some pizza, drinking some Hunter's beer and watching Cricket on TV.
The night was spent with a final group dinner and then Eric, Aaron and I went out with some theology students from the University of Stellenbosch. It was a good closure to the trip, but bittersweet.
Now home in the cold midwinter I wish I was back with the laughter of our group, sun, adventure and charming late night walks.
With no forseeable trips to break up the monotany of school I hope winter passes quickly. Yet, life is always changing and the only thing I have to complain about right now is a 'bout with Mono. My class schedule isn't hectic, work isn't hard, I have activties and friends in and outside of seminary, and a new relationship which brings its own mystery. Yes, 2007 is still pretty good indeed.
1 comment:
It appears that you are doing very well. I am glad to hear that. As far as I know you might be the only one at this moment. Almost everyone else is having some sort of personal disaster, drama and misery.
Post a Comment