I used to always believe I was a fast reader. That was until I hit seminary. Suddenly reading 50 pages became an all day event. However, free from final projects and class reading I found that once again I can read quickly. As my friend did homework I grabbed a novel off the shelf at Barnes & Noble. I sat back with my tea and proceeded to read the entire book. I read it in about an hour and half. It would have taken me twice as long to read a homework assignment of the same length. I recommend the book.
Anthem by Ayn Rand (1938) takes place in a dismal future void of free will. Individualism is prohibited; people refer to themselves as ‘we’ eliminating any connotation of self-worth and identity. Equality 7-2521 seeks to find his own place in the world and rebels against the oppression found in the complete unity of community. Although it provokes thoughts about the importance of individuality in the end it becomes the antithesis of the Gospel.
1 comment:
All I can say is "I'm impressed." I couldn't have finished it. I would have been thinking too much. I doff my hat to you!
Post a Comment