Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Possibilities

Excitement! It was a job offer, of sorts. I have been asked to join a group of consultants who come from a wide variety of professional backgrounds and experiences; including a women who owns her own consulting business and has been in the field for 20 plus years. Tim has been impressed by my work and has heard nothing but praise from the VEAP board president about my skills. He believes my expertise in fundraising, marketing, and organizational development is a great asset for his team. He is also looking for a range of ages. He likes the idea of having me as a new professional on the team to learn from (new ideas, technology skills) and being able to teach me the skills I don’t know like how to make a strategic plan.

Any job I put time into I would get paid for. So it is a part-time on the side job…for now. He made it very clear that when I am at a place that I feel comfortable moving into a larger role there is a place for me. He knows I have a lot of changes coming up in my life right now, he does not want to impede on my work at VEAP (even though he knows I am ready to move on), and doesn’t want to make things complicated seeing his wife is the board president.

So for now I see it kind of as a paid internship with no required hours to put in. It’s a time for me to learn from someone who has had a very successful career. He is willing to take what I do know and use it, but also teach me more so that I can become well versed in a wide range of things. I like that! Someone sees potential in me and this could really lead to something down the road.

It will take time for him to get his business up and running again. It will take time for me to feel out how consulting works and how I interact with the tasks, but there is potential out there. He even said, if I move to Nebraska there is still work that can be done. So even if I move I am still welcomed to be involved and even encouraged, with his team support, to start a branch down there. How cool!

No comments: