I am well aware that social media/technology is the wave of the future for business. It is also an increasingly popular way to network to personally find better employment opportunities. It is a great way to keep in touch with friends and family who are now more spread out than ever. It even helped my husband and I develop a strong long distance relationship that turned into a marriage.
However, some days I just can’t fathom why I am spending time on it. I feel like I am wasting my energy. Like this blog for instance…I haven’t updated it in months. And I’m writing a post that will probably never be read. Why? I have a Twitter account to keep in touch with friends, help me network and hopefully move on in my career, but I only really think about it when I’m at work and at that time I can’t do anything on it anyway.
If I didn’t work in an office I’m not so sure I’d stay connected on social media very much. I do it because I’m bored, but when I am in my element and my happiest I’m not thinking about it. I probably won’t think about it once we have kids, or maybe I will to keep family and friends updated on life at a distance.
If I didn’t work in an office I’m not so sure I’d stay connected on social media very much. I do it because I’m bored, but when I am in my element and my happiest I’m not thinking about it. I probably won’t think about it once we have kids, or maybe I will to keep family and friends updated on life at a distance.
The many avenues to publish who you are online are so wide spread and varied that it becomes a mess in my mind. For work I tirelessly post on Twitter hoping that someone will notice a post in the few minutes I turn up in the feed before I’m washed away by the numerous tweets of others. Is it worth it? The experts say it is, colleagues are all over it, and I get my spurts of insatiable enthusiasm. Then I have days like today where I think, why am I doing this?
I come to work and live in a virtual world and get annoyed when people snap me out of it. I sit in front of a computer and I’m not so sure that is experiencing life. I only have some 90 years on this planet (hopefully). I don’t want to spend more than half of it at a desk, in front of a computer, slowly getting fat and pale because I never leave and never see the sunlight. Especially the years where I can move around and do things, life is too short for office work, for making virtual connections.
Yet, I do it anyway and sometimes not as well as I’d like to. I have great visions of having an amazing blog or inspiring tweets or whatever, but does it really matter? Am I the only one I’m entertaining and inspiring? Probably. So I spend my day thinking what am I do here in general? There has to be more than this.
No comments:
Post a Comment